Thursday, January 22, 2009

Waiting for work to start is the best kind of vacation, so i'm cooking at home today

I over cooked some beans.  Rummaging around my kitchen supplies, i found a bag of dried cranberry beans just staring at me, begging for some heat and a pork massage.  Good thing i have just returned from the Berkshires, from Dominic Palumbo's incredible farm and education center, The Moon in the Pond Farm, with an ice-box full of offal and smoker treats just begging for some Slowfood style cooking.  Lets go through my list of booty, thats right, booty.  All the pork is the noble Berkshire breed, a black pig, and a killer awesome heritage animal that has loads more fat than industrial crapola pork.  Very multicultural too, as the breed began in China, over to the UK, and finally over to our USA a few hundred years ago, and while was never used by factory farms, Dom and the other small farm heroes all over the country are bringing it back and raising happy, fat piggies.  I've got ears, tails (both raw and smoked), trotters, heart, Dom's bacon, and tongue as well as goat's oysters, veal short ribs, and heritage-breed chicken's feet. O yea and Blue Hill raw milk and farm egg too... Locked and loaded, allez cuisine!  
After an overnight soak, the rinsed beans hit a dutch oven with some bacon, onions, garlic, celery, with some leftover braising liquid from spare ribs i made last week, everything up to a simmer, and into a 325* oven for about an hour.  Sounds ok right, well wrong.  Not horribly wrong, still nice and delish and a fabulous base for ribolitta, but about 15 mins past my perfecto point of parliamentary procedure.  
After a bit of time feeling sorry for myself, i picked up this great little cookbook Akiko gave me called Pie, so i'm going to parlay my motivation to make something awesome today and bang out some sweet pie pastry and make a pork and spice pockets... I gotta start thinking about my offal menu as well and use some limes to make some more indian-style cheese.

No comments: